And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
Colossians 3:15 ESV
Sure, it has been a struggle dealing with cancer, but there is still much in my life that is good. I promised myself when this journey started that I would remain more than a cancer patient, more than a cancer survivor. I am still a whole, complete person. I have moments when I forget that – lots of them – and I think that’s when I most need to remember the many blessings I have in life and be thankful. Sometimes it’s not easy, but it always leads back to the peace of Christ. Here is my top five:
1) I am grateful that in all things I can have peace and confidence through God, who loves me.
2) I am grateful for the friends, family, church family and coworkers that have given selflessly of their time, encouragement, and money to help me through this time. The gifts are important, but even more important is the feeling of being loved and cared for, a lesson I will carry with me when this is over.
3) I am grateful for my two dogs. If you’re not a pet lover, that may sound silly, but they have given me comfort and laughter in abundance and I am thankful!
4) I am grateful for my home. I have a place to live where I feel at peace. My friends have even said my home “looks like me” and they are right. It’s a wonderful home for me in a delightful neighborhood and I enjoy living here.
5) I am grateful for my employment, which provides health insurance to cover most of my expenses. I am also grateful to have a job that will be there for me when I get back.
That’s my list for now. If I get to complaining, moaning and griping, feel free to send me back to this post!
For what are you thankful?